Decisions Decisions

Posted on Monday, August 31, 2009 by Alexandria

There was a presenter in my cost accounting class today.<--I really detest cost accounting and its only the beginning of the 2nd week.

Anyway the presentation was on becoming a Certified Management Accounting. I know about the CPA because that is my goal after I graduate from UNCG in May....right along with obtaining my graduate degree in accounting. Yet, I had no idea that there was a CMA....wait a minute yes I did. I just forgot about it (blacked it out) from my 10th grade accounting class.

It was never something that interested me because cost is not my cup of tea.

The turning point is when the presenter starts talking about how CMA's are seen as trusted business partner. I'm sitting in class thinking.....man that sounds so interesting. I want to be a trusted business partner. And the great part is I can get both my CPA and CMA...although everything has an opportunity cost.

To become a CMA there are additional stiulations such as you have to join the IMA(Institute of Management Accountants) theres a fee. Although it is heavily discounted for students but as of right now I don't have a job here in Greensboro.. :( And also there are 4 exams--of which I have to take and pass the first 3 before moving onto the 4th part, and other stipulations.

In the end I think its worth it especially taking into consideration that I'm an accounting geek and all. And the fact that if I have both my CPA and CMA I'm considered hiring gold!!!! I like that part but in the end I love anything to do with accounting.

0 Responses to "Decisions Decisions":